This may not come as a surprise since I am pretty certain the idea of a map wipe has been thrown around for awhile now. We're currently wondering what the current opinion of the players is on the subject of a map reset.
Tekkit 3 brings tonnes of new features to and allows players to get a fresh start. Along with this lots of IDs are changing and Forestry will not be present in Tekkit 3. This creates a lot of issues. Could we possibly get the map to work with Tekkit 3? Yes, however, a smooth conversion could not be guaranteed and it'd be a large and difficult undertaking. We will definitely try everything we can if the community decides to vote to keep the map.
Even though losing your stuff in a map wipe sucks there are some really big advantages! These include:
- Large improvement to the tick rate! Back to 20 TPS. Right now, there are thousands of machines of running (mostly aren't used but they're still running and consumer resources), each one of them the server has to do calculations for
- Increased stability: Tekkit is in beta and may have corrupted the old world, which may be responsible for the recent crashes. Starting over would solve that.
- A new, fresh map for you to build on with fresh resources to mine.
- Jungle biomes will be in the world, yay
- Having the economy starting from scratch will have it become more balanced as we would replace the gold standard (no longer can player mass produce gold and sell them the to the server) but we will have wages instead. Some players have 500,000 credits for example (which is ridiculous).
Removal of Buildcraft
What I can tell you for sure though, is that Buildcraft will be removed when we update to Tekkit 3.0
Why? It is simply redundant as many of the updates to RedPower replace all of its functions and you can do it better. Buildcraft alone is responsible for 60% of the server resources being used up and RedPower is simply put, much more efficiently coded.
To assist you with the transition, there is a guide on the wiki now, giving you all the alternatives to Buildcraft items.
As of now, there are no plans to reimburse you for your losses. (Should have used RedPower all along )
EDIT: You can apply for your project/build to be transferred to the new map here.